|SVHEC General Policies|
|Wednesday, 29 September 2010 14:54|
General Information and Policies
The Southern Virginia Higher Education Center (SVHEC) is committed to maintaining a safe, civil, and respectful learning environment for SVHEC staff, partners, and guests. To that end, the following code of conduct, policy and information is provided as a guide. The SVHEC considers students enrolled with our educational partners as guests and hereafter refers to as such. As lessee of the property, the SVHEC has the authority to bar individuals found in non-compliance of the code of conduct and SVHEC policies.
1. Hours of Operation - 7:30am – 9:00pm Monday – Friday, 7:30am – 5pm Saturday. On Monday through Friday the doors will be locked at dusk. Hours of Operation are subject to class schedules. Please call the front desk for information at 434-572-5440.
2. Emergency - Guests should review the evacuation plans posted in each classroom near the light switches. Be familiar with the location of emergency exits and fire extinguishers. In the event of an emergency, call 911 and then call or contact the front desk at 434.572-5440.
3. Inclement Weather, Natural Disaster, or Emergency Conditions – If the fire alarms sound evacuate the building immediately. If the tornado warning is given, leave your classroom or office space, closing the door behind you and seek shelter in hallways away from glass doors and windows.
4. Weather Related Closings- A decision will be made by 6:30am and announced on South Boston’s WHLF Radio (95.3FM) and WSET’s television station on channel 13, Lynchburg station. A recorded announcement can be heard by calling 434.572.5440 or 800.283.0098. An announcement will also be placed on our website at www.svhec.org. Click to view the complete SVHEC weather policy.
5. Parking – Permitted in any marked spaces in our paved lot. Additional parking is available on the Factory Street entrance across the street in the Town of South Boston public lot. Street parking is not available on Bruce Street.
6. Computers –An open computer station is located at the top of the staircase to the left. Please be considerate and allow those waiting for computer usage the opportunity. Students must be enrolled in courses through the SVHEC college/university/high school partners to have access to the computer station.
1. Alcoholic Beverages - No alcoholic beverages are allowed in the SVHEC building, courtyards, or parking lots
2. Illegal Drugs – SVHEC is a drug free zone and the possession and/or use or selling of illegal drugs is prohibited. The Town of South Boston Police Department and/or the proper authorities will handle violators. If you suspect drug related behavior, please report this activity to the front desk representative.
3. Smoking – Smoking is not permitted inside buildings or under awnings attached to the facility. The smoking area is located in the main parking lot by the benches across from the main entrance.
4.Computer Use and Responsibility -All SVHEC partner institution students have access to the SVHEC computers and will be given a computer login. All new students will be issued a computer login. The first time you log on to the computer, you will be asked to agree to a list of computer use policies. To gain access, you must read and agree to the computer use policies. Sharing your login with other students will cause you to lose your computer privileges indefinitely. You are responsible for use of the computer under your login; therefore you should always sign out of the computer when you are away from the computer or desk to prevent others from using your login. Misuse of computer resources (viewing of improper content, use of computers by individuals not enrolled in SVHEC courses, or computer damage) is not tolerated.
5. Food and Drink – Food and drink are not allowed in classroom and labs of the SVHEC with the exception of special events approved by the operations team prior to the event. Please clean any spills promptly and leave rooms clean. If you are given permission to hold an event involving food and drinks in a classroom, it is your responsibility to clean the room afterwards and leave the room clean. Please call the Manager of Operations at 434-572-5487 for approval to bring food into a classroom for a special event. V H E C o d e o f C o n d u c t
6. Children – Children should not attend class with parents. Children should not be left unattended at any time in the facility or the premises.
For questions on code of conduct, general information and policy, please contact Amy H. Cole, Director of Student Services and Partner Relationships at 434.572.5441.