The Southern Virginia Higher Education Center is located in two re-purposed, historic tobacco warehouses in downtown South Boston, Virginia. Get directions >>
The two buildings comprising our campus are the 820 Bruce Street Building and the Innovation Center. The Prizery, Halifax County's premier performing arts center, sits between the two SVHEC buildings.
The 820 Bruce Street Building dates to 1850, and was once a tobacco processing warehouse owned by Export Leaf Tobacco. The building was donated to the SVHEC by local benefactors, and we began operating out of it in 2001. During the building's renovation, many of its historic features were retained allowing us to have high-speed computers, plasma screens and surrounded by wireless Hot Spots next to original elevator works, fire-doors that were once activated by ropes, and 1850s bucket-and-fan humidifiers. The mix of old and new exemplifies the role Southern Virginia and tobacco played in the early days of industrial development, and the progressive role the SVHEC plays in the future of the region's economic revitalization.
The Innovation Center This facility, the American Tobacco Warehouse, dates back to 1890, and was referred to, locally, as the "Bag Factory." The building was donated to the Southern Virginia Higher Education Foundation in December 2007, and added an additional 46,000 sq.ft of space to the SVHEC's campus. After another historic renovation, the bag factory was transformed into the Innovation Center. It is home to SVHEC Workforce Advancement, Workforce Training, and the Research & Development Center for Advanced Manufacturing & Energy Efficiency.