Welding is a growing field – in Southern Virginia and beyond. If you’re ready for a hands-on career, the Southern Virginia Higher Education Center (SVHEC) is ready for you. [email protected] is a short-term, accredited training program providing students with instruction in MIG, TIG, Stick, and Pipe welding. Individuals attend training three days a week for eight months. This non-credit program is accredited by the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER).
Individuals who successfully complete the program will have the opportunity to earn their NCCER Welding certification and may test for American Welding Society credentials in SVHEC’s AWS Accredited Test Facility. This portable, 3rd party-validated industry credential is recognized by employers across the nation. In less than one year, we’ll prepare you to be a work-ready welder. Financial assistance is available.
In-demand skills acquired include:
- Welding safety and quality
- Welding symbols and detail drawing
- Oxyfuel, plasma arc, and air carbon cutting and goughing
- SMAW equipment
- GMAW, FCAW, and Open pipe welds
- Physical characteristics and mechanical properties of metals
[email protected] training will prepare you for a wide variety of jobs, including:
- Structural Welder
- Pipe Welder
- Welding Machine Operator
- 18-years-old or older
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid form of ID
- Attend one information session
- Complete ACT WorkKeys Assessment
For questions or to get started, email or call (434) 572-5475.